Mutant World

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Creative Webcam Live! on Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex

I received the Creative Webcam Live! as a gift quite some time ago, but never had the time to use it or install it properly.
My good ol' Thinkpad T43p was maybe bleeding edge in 2005, but not as far as having already an incorporated webcam :)

Under Ubuntu Intrepid, this webcam does not work out of the box, at least for me, and I have a fresh (re)install of Intrepid.
This camera appears using lsusb as:

Bus 003 Device 008: ID 041e:4036 Creative Technology, Ltd Webcam Live!/Live! Pro


The solution is quite easy though: you need to set this variable before launching the program that uses the webcam:

export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so


I tested this with camorama and skype, and in both cases it works just fine.
For skype, I created a wrapper script that first set the variable as above and then invokes /usr/bin/skype and modified the menu entry to point to my wrapper script.

Labels: