Mutant World

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Natty Narwhal's Unity, final take

I have previously blogged on Ubuntu's Natty Narwhal Unity shortcomings, and added some additional thoughts on my own configuration.

With a non-hiding Unity launcher that works as an old-style launcher and as a windows list, what I really missed were the applets.

It turns out that there are many efforts to replace those applets with "indicators", for example see this link.

So I installed the weather indicator, the system load indicator and this allowed me to get back to a decent configuration that I find efficient enough for my daily work.

Considering that Ubuntu will drop the "classic" mode for 11.10, I felt it was better to get used to Unity as soon as possible.

I am confident the application indicators will improve over time, so eventually - hopefully - Unity will be as good as the classic mode.